The uniqueness of the program demanded the introduction of three new townhouses on a site located in the Ocean Beach Historic District, and the adaptive use and addition to a contributing 1924 simple wood frame bungalow set within the context of a street that exhibits a continual progression of architectural styles.
The proposed addition/infill acts as both an individual unit which responds to the urban character of the Historic District as well as to serve as a backdrop to the restored bungalow. A secondary layer of units, facing an internal courtyard constitutes the ensemble.
The traditional building type is derived from the physical constraints bounded by site and the limitations dictated by the existing structures.
The roofs are utilized as gardens/terraces to maximize the habitable spaces.
The addition pays homage to the existing bungalow by dedicating the eastern portion of the ground level as a traditional porch that serves as an attractor as well as an outdoor room.
A single layer/skin of contrasting color wraps the new structure, thus creating an envelope for the manipulation of internal rooms.
A vocabulary of vernacular materials is extended through the buildings with prominent elements, such as bay windows, that have been arranged to serve as connectors between the rear building and the new front unit. A vertical Corten steel panel is used to emphasize a separation and distinction between the bungalow’s backdrop, composed of horizontal shiplap siding, and the vertical circulation tower.